Monday, March 30, 2020

Determining the Fastbreak Offense (Advanced Game)

Determining the Fastbreak Offense 
Give each team a Fastbreak Rating based on its Fastbreak tendency from the roster sheet, as follows: 
* = Fastbreak Rating of 2. 
No asterisks = Fastbreak Rating of 4.
** = Fastbreak Rating of 5.  
Roll an extra colored six-sided die, in addition to the special black die and white dice, on all shot attempt rolls. Whenever a Fastbreak situation occurs in the game, refer to the PREVIOUS result on the colored die and compare it to the offensive team's Fastbreak Rating. If the result on the colored die is less than or equal to the team's Fastbreak Rating, the team will run a Fastbreak offense on that possession. If a Steal result occurs from a player's Defense column, the player making the steal may still attempt to score off the steal, regardless of whether or not a Fastbreak offense is indicated. 
Disregard the result on the colored die if a Fastbreak shot is called for from the Fastbreak CONTROL section of the final action card of a quarter or overtime period; the rebounding team can always run the Fastbreak in this this situation (a team with the lead will always dribble out the clock when this occurs on the last action card of the game).
Of all the game play options that I've instituted in my play over the years, this one is probably my favorite. It relieves you of the burden of having to decide whether or not to run the Fastbreak for each team throughout the game, and in doing so, also ensures that each team will run the Fastbreak offense the same percentage of the time they actually did (or at least at the same percentage that Strat-O-Matic has rated each team to).

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You can access roster sheets for previous seasons at http://www.strat-o-matic.com/basketball/basketball-rosters/. They don't post the current season's roster sheet though, so you would need to contact Strat-O-Matic directly to request a copy, if you did not receive one with your purchase.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar solution. I put numbers on the top of the Action Deck from 1-6. If a team fast breaks 1/3 of the time, they break if a 1 or 2 is showing. If it's 2/3 of the time, they break on 1-4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea, but I want some control. I think some teams break when player X is in the game but otherwise they don't. I also get that certain teams need to be slowed down or they end up running too much and the stats are skewed (Golden State). Thinking aloud, I might decide who is fast breaking and who isn't. For the former, when you roll a 6, they don't break. For the later, when you roll a 1, they do break. I'm not as worried about the breakdown but I like that it isn't all or nothing.

    I'm always playing around with trying to figure out how to allow the dice to decide the shot based on a player's shooting tendency. I want 2014-15 James Harden to take some Outside shots, and not just either take a 3 or Penetrate. Klay Thompson has an I on his shooting tendency and shood post up once in a while. I want a big man who is positioned Inside but who takes Outside shots in reality to occasionally do so. I want guys to be more like their real selves but I am not so worried about the ratio.

    I also want my wife, who finds running the break anathema, because of the turnovers, to be forced to do so now and then when she has a darn running team!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, what do you think about making an adjustment for the playoffs? We always hear that the game slows down in the playoffs. I'm not sure that is even true.

    ReplyDelete